Cash and Credit RegistersNCR Mechanical Cash Registers & Cash Register Mechanisms
From the 1890s through at least the introduction of electronic cash registers, National Cash Register Company dominated American sales of cash registers. The Ohio-based company had substantial foreign sales as well. It produced a wide range of products, tailored to suit the tastes and budgets of stores that differed widely in clientele. The firm expanded over the years to produce bookkeeping machines, adding machines, and electronic computers.
"Cash and Credit Registers - NCR Mechanical Cash Registers & Cash Register Mechanisms" showing 1 items.
- This large cash register has a wood and metal exterior painted black, and five columns of keys. The keys in the leftmost column indicate the type of transaction. Right of these keys are four columns of 9 keys, the leftmost for $90 down to $10, the next for $9 to $1, the next for 90 cents to 10 cents, and the last for 9 cents to 1 cent. Hence the machine can have purchases entered of up to $99.99. It is a National model 1852-E, made by National Cash Register Company of Dayton, Ohio. It has serial number 2925055 and dates from 1929.
- The paper tape for dispensing receipts is on the left. Above the keys are indicators showing the type of transaction and the amount. A wide cash drawer is at the bottom of the machine. The machine is electrically operated, but there is a place for an operating crank on the right side.
- According to the donor, the register was used at Mosely's Jewelry Store on U Street in Washington, D.C. It has an indentation from a 32-caliber bullet, produced in one of the many times the store was robbed. The base price for this machine new was $350.00 in 1927.
- Equipment Research Corporation, Business Machines and Equipment Digest, 1928, vol. 1, section 10–1, p. 18.
- Accession file.
- Currently not on view
- date made
- National Cash Register Company
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- maker number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History, Kenneth E. Behring Center