Coins, Currency, and Medals
The Museum possesses one of the largest numismatic collections in the world. The collections include over 1 million objects, comprising coins, medals, decorations, and pieces of paper money. Among the many great rarities here are some of the world’s oldest coins, created 2,700 years ago. But the collection also includes the latest innovations in electronic monetary exchange, as well as beads, wampum, and other commodities once used as money. A special strength lies in artifacts that illustrate the development of money and medals in the United States. The American section includes many rare and significant coins, such as two of three known examples of the world's most valuable coin, the 1933 double eagle $20 gold piece.
"Coins, Currency, and Medals - Overview" showing 1 items.
- Description (Brief)
- A parade badge produced by Whitehead & Hoag Co. for a fraternal organization. The badge bar and medallion are made of celluloid inserts with metal frames. The upper flap has crossed flag staffs with American flags attached. The flags appear to wave, an effect patented by Whitehead & Hoag in 1892. The badge is reversible so it may be used for both parades and funerals.
- The dates on the badge bar (1688-1690) refer to the period when James VII and II was fighting William III of Orange for the crown of England. The medallion has the names of various battles in the war, as well as the word "enniskillen," which is what Protestant Irish who fought with William called themselves. Boyne, the decisive battle in the war, was won by William III in 1690.
- "L.O.L" likely stands for "Loyal Orange Lodge." The Orangemen were a Irish Protestant fraternal organization who celebrated the memory and ideals of William III of Orange. In the 1870s several disturbances, known as the "Orange Riots" broke out in New York City between Irish Protestant and Irish Catholic immigrants following celebratory parades of Orangemen held on the anniversary of the Battle of Boyne.
- Source: "The Orange Riots of Fifty Years Ago," T. R. Ybarra, the New York Times. July 10, 1921.
- date made
- after 1896
- Whitehead & Hoag Company
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History, Kenneth E. Behring Center