Dividers & CompassesCompasses
One characteristic of the compasses in the collection is the variety of ornamentation molded into their metal parts. More often than the instruments on the other pages, compasses were manufactured in the United States, and Americans received patents for adding innovations to the instrument. Several of the objects below were used in schools, and some were even designed to prevent schoolchildren from poking themselves and each other. This page also contains spare parts for compasses.
"Dividers & Compasses - Compasses" showing 1 items.
- The ridged cylindrical handle on this metal bow pencil is directly attached to a ring. The tops of the legs are pointed. A metal disc between the legs adjusts the width of the instrument. The bow screw is bolted inside the legs and has no nuts on the outsides of the legs. Thumbscrews on the front of one leg and the back of the other adjust the height of the needle and pencil points. The compass is marked: GRAMERCY IMPORT GERMANY.
- The Gramercy Import Company began operating around 1930. Robert Behrens Condon studied engineering at the University of Vermont and Columbia University in the late 1940s and early 1950s, which is probably when he purchased this instrument. He operated the New Englander Motor Inn with his politically active wife, Marie, from 1955 to 1978.
- Reference: "April Milestones 2012," Friends Journal, http://www.friendsjournal.org/dept-2012-04-milestones/.
- Currently not on view
- date made
- mid 20th century
- Gramercy Import Co.
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History, Kenneth E. Behring Center