Mining Lights and HatsSoft Caps
|Soft Cap with Carbide Lamp, ca. early 20th century
From 1850 until around 1915, miner’s headgear generally consisted of cloth or canvas hats with leather brims and lamp brackets on the forehead that allowed them to hang a source of light on the front of their cap. Caps served the ancillary use of protecting the miner’s eyes from smoke or soot and their head from dust and small bumps, but its main use was as a mount for their lamps.
These soft mining caps had leather or metal brackets that served as mounts for the miner’s lamp. These soft caps were used for three generations of mining lamps, with oil-wick lamps, carbide lamps, and battery-powered electric lamps. Brackets were often sold separately, so the miner could keep a hat and buy a new bracket to accommodate a new lamp.
"Mining Lights and Hats - Soft Caps" showing 11 items.
Page 2 of 2
- Description (Brief)
- This cap was made by an unknown maker around the early 20th century. The cap is made of soft cotton canvas with a leather bill, and leather 'L' on the front for the attachment of the lamp. A carbide lamp (object number AG*MHI-MN-9442B) is attached to the cap.
- Currently not on view
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History, Kenneth E. Behring Center