Scale RulesPromotional Rules
Since people frequently needed length measures for everyday activities, American companies realized in the late 19th century that rulers could be effective giveaways for promoting their businesses. Some of these were based on a design patented by Henry Adler, an inventor who manufactured iron and sheet metal products in Pittsburgh, so this page also includes three of the four patent models for scale rules found in the mathematics collections. (The fourth is shown on the page for triangular rules.) Since the promotional rules and patent models were often combination instruments—putting length measures together with paper cutters, protractors, and the like—these objects are included in this category.
"Scale Rules - Promotional Rules" showing 1 items.
- This 6" wooden rule is divided to 1/32" and numbered by ones. It is marked: AMER. MFG. CONCERN, FALCONER, N.Y. It is also marked: 314 S. State St., (/) Ann Arbor; SINCE (/) 1908; O. D. MORRILL (/) Typewriters, Adding & Office Machines; PHONE (/) 6615; Office Supplies (/) and Equipment.
- The back has two drawings of typewriters and is marked: O. D. MORRILL, 314 S. State St., Ann Arbor (/) Typewriters, Adding and Office Machines of All Makes (/) Bought – Sold – Rented – Exchanged – Cleaned – Repaired (/) Office and Student Supplies – – – – – Stationery (/) Since 1908 • Typewriting and Mimeographing • Phone 6615.
- In 1888 William T. Falconer and D. E. Merrill formed a partnership in Falconer, N.Y., to produce wooden items such as rulers, washing machines, and toys. The firm incorporated as American Manufacturing Concern in 1910. Between 1930 and 1950, the company shifted its emphasis to wooden furniture. In 1978 the firm was renamed Fancher Chair Company.
- Oscar David Morrill (c. 1884–1949) began selling office machines and supplies to University of Michigan students and local residents in 1908. The store was still on State Street in 1917, but by 1920, it advertised itself as on Nickels Arcade in Ann Arbor. From 1931 to at least 1958, the store again gave its address as 314 S. State Street. (The two locations are around the corner from each other.)
- References: Mattatuck Museum, "Apothecaries Hall Ruler," acc. no. 98.12.4, http://www.mattatuckcollections.org/Obj494$248; Fancher Chair Company, "Our History," http://fancherchair.com/history-fancher-chair.html; Polk's Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, and Washtenaw County Directory (Detroit: R. L. Polk & Co., 1917), 482; D. C. Millen, Ann Arbor Guide (Dewitt C. Millen, 1920), 13; University of Michigan, Michiganensian (Ann Arbor, 1931), 546.
- Currently not on view
- date made
- American Manufacturing Concern
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History, Kenneth E. Behring Center