Slide RulesIndex by Purpose
While many slide rules were made as general calculating instruments, for multiplying numbers and solving equations with squares, cubes, trigonometric functions, and logarithms, many others were made to ease the calculations associated with a specific task. Click on items in the list below to see rules in the collection with an identifiable specialized purpose. For comparison, a few illustrative examples of all-purpose slide rules are shown under the link to General Calculation.
"Slide Rules - Index by Purpose" showing 1 items.
- This rule consists of a clear plastic envelope, glued together along the back bottom edge, and a white plastic slide. The front of the rule has six windows for reading off conversions between yards or feet and meters; centimeters and inches; square yards and square meters; square centimeters and square inches; cubic meters and cubic yards; and liters and imperial gallons or U.S. gallons. The front also has tables of equivalents and a scale for converting between Fahrenheit and Celsius temperatures. The top right corner is marked: GRINDSTED (/) PRODUCTS, INC. (/) Research for quality (/) 2701 ROCKCREEK PKY. (/) NORTH KANSAS CITY, (/) MISSOURI 64116. It is also marked: TEL: 816-842-6500 (/)TELEX: 4-2565 (/)GRINDSINC NKSC. A table for decimal equivalents between fractions, millimeters, and inches runs down the middle of the slide.
- The back has six windows for reading off conversions between pounds and kilograms; ounces and grams; PSI and atmospheres or kilograms per square centimeters; inches or centimeters of mercury and PSI; BTU and kilocalories or watt hours; and meter-kilograms and foot-pounds or joules. The back also has more tables of equivalents.
- Grindsted is a Danish brand for bulk food products, such as animal feed and emulsifiers for human foods. In 1989 it merged into the Danish conglomerate Danisco, which in turn was purchased by DuPont in 2011. The logo on this rule was in use from 1975 to 1991. Grindsted's factory in the Kansas City suburbs opened in 1975 and filed an annual report in 2012. Compare this rule to metric converters 1990.0689.01 and 1990.3231.01. For the style of manufacture, compare to 1988.0795.02.
- References: "Articles of Incorporation of Grinsted Products, Inc.," Missouri Secretary of State Business Name History, https://www.sos.mo.gov/BusinessEntity/soskb/Corp.asp?165854; "History - DuPont Danisco," http://www.danisco.com/about-dupont/duponttm-daniscor/history/; U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Trademark Electronic Search System.
- Currently not on view
- date made
- Grindsted Products, Inc.
- ID Number
- catalog number
- nonaccession number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History, Kenneth E. Behring Center