Holton B-Flat Cornet
- Description (Brief)
This cornet was made by Frank Holten & Co. in Elkhorn, Wisconsin in 1921. It is a B-flat cornet, Holton-Clarke model serial #57825, made of silver plated brass with 3 piston valves.
The cornet is inscribed on the bell:
HOLTON-CLARKE MODEL [/] MADE BY [/] Frank Holton & Co. [/] ELKHORN [/] WISC.
- and on the second valve:
FRANK HOLTON & CO. ELKHORN, WIS. [/] 57825
- This cornet is named after prominent American cornet player and composer, Herbert Lincoln Clarke (1867-1945). The Clark archival collection is at the Sousa Archives and Center for American Music at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Currently not on view
- date made
- Holten & Co., Frank
- Frank Holton & Co.
- place made
- United States: Wisconsin, Elkhorn
- Physical Description
- brass (overall material)
- silver (overall material)
- overall: 15 in x 4 1/2 in x 6 1/2 in; 38.1 cm x 11.43 cm x 16.51 cm
- overall: 15 in x 6 1/2 in x 4 1/2 in; 38.1 cm x 16.51 cm x 11.43 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Gift of Robert Erickson
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History