Getzen B-Flat Slide Trumpet
- Description (Brief)
This trumpet was made by Getzen Company, Inc. in Elkhorn, Wisconsin in 1963. It is a B-flat slide trumpet made of brass and nickel plate. This instrument is really a soprano trombone but sold as a slide trumpet by the manufacturer. This trumpet is engraved:
Getzen [/] DELUXE [/] ELKHORN [/] -WIS-
A 1959 Getzen advertisement for this instrument, with the endorsement of American jazz trumpeter Bobby Hackett indicates, “Cornet players…trumpet players…trombone players…beginners too - for those new effects that are impossible with any other instrument, get this sensational musical instrument, same true tone as ANY trumpet, with full range and accurate A-440 pitch. Ruggedly built of brass, polished and lacquered, Getzen-guaranteed…Easy to play-learn quickly with furnished instruction book.
Same slide principle as standard trombone, with slide positions plainly marked on outside slide. Lightning action, tunable, any mouthpiece fits. At music dealers, or write us.”
- This instrument originally sold for $19.95.
- Currently not on view
- Getzen Co., Inc.
- Getzen Company, Inc.
- place made
- United States: Wisconsin, Elkhorn
- Physical Description
- brass (overall material)
- nickel plate (overall material)
- overall: 17 3/4 in x 4 1/2 in x 6 1/2 in; 45.085 cm x 11.43 cm x 16.51 cm
- trumpet: 4 5/8 in x 18 1/4 in x 5 5/16 in; 11.7475 cm x 46.355 cm x 13.49375 cm
- mouthpiece: 3 1/2 in x 1 1/16 in; 8.89 cm x 2.69875 cm
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Credit Line
- Gift of Getzen Co., Inc.
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History