Maria Minton's Sampler
One script and two block alphabets of all 26 letters; all these rows separated by simple crossbands. Numbers to 9 (below inscription). All letters and numbers worked in black. In lower register, hearts, flower-basket, flowering plants, birds. Inscription in solidly filled lozenge. Border of simple geometric band on all four sides. Silk embroidery thread on cotton canvas ground. STITCHES: cross, long-armed cross, herringbone, queen. THREAD COUNT: warp 23, weft 23/in.
aged 13 years"
- Nothing is known about the life of Maria Minton.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Date made
- Minton, Maria
- Physical Description
- linen (ground fabric material)
- silk (embroidery thread material)
- overall: 17 1/2 in x 11 in; 44.45 cm x 27.94 cm
- Place Made
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History, Kenneth E. Behring Center