Nancy Mary Lindley's Sampler
Five block alphabets; one script alphabet; numbers to 15. All alphabets colored in pairs or groups. Six narrow geometric crossbands. Verse in lower register flanked by two-story house and tree. Red cotton thread used only for "s" in "Lindleys" and for three small geometric motifs at bottom of sampler. Border of geometric zig-zag on all four sides. Silk and cotton embroidery thread on linen ground. STITCHES: cross, Algerian eye. THREAD COUNT: warp 39, weft 42/in.
"Nancy Mary Lindleys work done at the age of 8 years
Let virtue be my greatest care
And study my delight
So shall my day be always fair
And peaceable my night,"
- Nothing is known about the life of Nancy Mary Lindley.
- Currently not on view
- Object Name
- Date made
- Lindley, Nancy Mary
- Physical Description
- linen (ground fabric material)
- silk (embroidery thread material)
- cotton (embroidery thread material)
- overall: 16 in x 16 in; 40.64 cm x 40.64 cm
- Place Made
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History, Kenneth E. Behring Center