One hallmark of the American experience captured in the Museum's collections is the nation's broad diversity of religious faiths. Artifacts range from Thomas Jefferson's Bible to a huge "Sunstone" sculpture carved for a Mormon temple in Illinois in 1844 to a household shrine from the home of a Pueblo Indian in the 1990s. Furniture, musical instruments, clothing, cooking ware, and thousands of prints and figures in the collections have all played roles in the religious lives of Americans. The most comprehensive collections include artifacts from Jewish and Christian European Americans, Catholic Latinos, Protestant Arab Americans, Buddhist and Christian Asian Pacific Americans, and Protestant African Americans. One notable group is the Vidal Collection of carved figures known as santos and other folk religious material from the practice of Santeria in Puerto Rico.
"Religion - Overview" showing 1171 items.
Page 115 of 118
- No Image Available
- Consists primarily of printed materials produced by and for American churches, virtually all of which were located in the Northeast. Contains leaflets, announcements, invitations, invoices and receipts, import/export documents, cards, letters, other correspondence, images, tracts and published sermons. Also includes material from foreign churches and manufacturers of church-related items. For the researcher, this series gives insight into the modes of worship, social and charitable activities, and theological views of Christian congregations in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Numerous images of churches illustrate a variety of architectural styles
- Cite as
- Churches, Warshaw Collection of Business Americana, Archives Center, National Museum of American History, box ##, folder ###, digital file number ####
- circa 1743-1950
- Warshaw, Isadore d. 1969
- Catholic Church
- Episcopal Church
- Reformed Protestant Dutch Church (U.S.)
- Data Source
- Archives Center - NMAH
- No Image Available
- Company Name
- Educational Supply Assn. Ltd.
- Record ID
- Data source
- Smithsonian Institution Libraries