Home Link

Edison examines a cart-mounted searchlight.

Edison and a searchlight, 1915

This searchlight used a new gas-filled, tungsten-filament lamp -- an improvement (developed in 1913 by GE's Irving Langmuir) which was rapidly replacing the vacuum, carbon-filament lamp pioneered by Edison. The cart in the photo is labeled "Edison Storage Battery Co.," an indication of the direction in which the inventor's interests had turned.

SI negative #87-1654

Back to Gallery   Back to Sitemap
Previous Image   Next Image

The Challenge of Success
Before Forty
Changes At Forty
Home Life
The New Technical World
Fame And Its Distractions
Edison In His Eighties