Each of these large, iconic artifacts anchors a wing of the Museum and highlights key themes of the exhibitions in that wing.
John Bull Locomotive, First Floor East
This landmark object -- the John Bull Locomotive -- identifies the transportation and technology wing of the museum.
On view is the steam locomotive John Bull and a section of the first iron railroad bridge in America.
The steam locomotive John Bull was built in 1831 and ran for 35 years, pulling trains of passengers and cargo between the two largest cities of the time, Philadelphia and New York. The locomotive propelled trains at 25 to 30 miles per hour. The John Bull, which was ordered from England by Robert Stevens for his railroad company, was named after the mythical gentleman who symbolized England. It was assembled by Isaac Dripps, a young steamboat mechanic who had never seen a locomotive before.
Ralph Baer's Workshop, First Floor West
The gateway to the Innovation wing is anchored by the home workshop of inventor Ralph Baer, known as the father of the video game.
Greensboro Lunch Counter, Second floor East
This landmark object -- the Greensboro Lunch Counter -- identifies the American ideals wing of the museum.
This section of the Woolworth's lunch counter with 4 stools from Greensboro, North Carolina, represents the February 1, 1960 sit-in that challenged segregated eating places. On February 1, 1960, four African American students -- Ezell A. Blair, Jr. (now Jibreel Khazan), Franklin E. McCain, Joseph A. McNeil, and David L. Richmond -- sat down at this counter and politely asked for service. Their request was refused. When asked to leave, they remained in their seats. They were all enrolled at the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical College. Their "passive sit-down demand" began one of the first sustained sit-ins and ignited a youth-led movement to challenge injustice and racial inequality throughout the South.
George Washington Sculpture, Second Floor West
This landmark object -- the George Washington Sculpture -- identifies the American lives wing of the museum.
On view is the marble statue of George Washington commissioned by Congress in 1832 to commemorate the centennial of our first president's birth. The artist, Horatio Greenough, modeled his figure of Washington on a classical Greek statue of Zeus, but the semi-clothed statue attracted controversy and criticism as soon as it arrived in the city in 1841. In 1908, Congress transferred the statue to the Smithsonian, where it went on view in the Castle. Then in 1964, it was moved to the museum for its opening.
General John J. Pershing's Desk, Third Floor East
This landmark object -- General John J. Pershing's Desk -- identifies the American wars and politics wing of the museum.
The desk from General John J. Pershing’s war room, together with a full-size reproduction of the wall map on which he tracked troop movements, form the new landmark display for the Museum’s third floor east. The map shows troop locations on the western front the very day armistice was reached. Under Pershing’s command, two million American soldiers helped break the stalemate in Europe and win the war for the Allies.