If you know of particular sources of
fuel cell information
not listed below please be sure to tell us and, if possible, send a copy.
- Appleby, A. John. Fuel Cell Handbook. New York:
Van Reinhold Co., 1989.
- Blomen, Leo, and Michael Mugerwa. Fuel Cell Systems.
New York: Plenum Press, 1993.
- Breeze, Paul. Power Generation Technologies: Evaluating
the Cost of Electricity. London: Financial Times Energy,
- Hacker, Barton C. and James M. Grimwood. On the Shoulders
of Titans: a history of Project Gemini. NASA: Washington,
- Paul B. Israel, Louis Carlat, Theresa M. Collins and David Hochfelder, Losses and Loyalties, April 1883December 1884, vol.7, The Papers of Thomas A. Edison (Baltimore, Md.; The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2011).
- Kordesch, Karl, and Günter Simader. Fuel Cells and
Their Applications. New York: VCH, 1996.
- Linden, David. Handbook of Batteries and Fuel Cells.
New York: McGraw-Hill, about 1984.
- Lischka, J. R. Ludwig Mond and the British alkali
industry. New York: Garland, 1985.
- Norbeck, Joseph. Hydrogen Fuel for Surface Transportation.
Warrendale, PA: Society of Automotive Engineers, about
- Ostwald, Wilhelm. Electrochemistry: History and Theory.
Translated by N. P. Date. New Delhi: Amerind for the Smithsonian
Institution and the National Science Foundation, 1980.
- Young, George J., ed. Fuel Cells, 2 volumes.
New York: Reinhold Publishing Corp., V1 - 1959, V2 - 1961).
Both volumes reprint papers given at symposia in 1959
and 1961, respectively.
- U.S. Department of Energy. Fuel Cells for the 21st
Century: Collaboration for a Leap in Efficiency and Cost
Reduction. Morgantown, WV: US DoE, 1999.
- Wendel, Charles H. The Allis-Chalmers Story.
Sarasota, Florida: Crestline Publishing Co., 1988.
- Alder Wright, Charles R. and C. Thompson. "Note on the
Development of Voltaic Electricity by Atmospheric Oxidation
of Combustible Gasses and other Substances." Proceedings
of the Royal Society of London, 1889, V.46.
- American Gas Journal. May 1961. "Guide to Fuel
Cell Technology." P 29. (good list of references).
- Appleby, A. John. "The Electrochemical Engine for Vehicles."
Scientific American. July 1999. P 74.
- Bacon, Francis T. and T. M. Fry. "Review Lecture: The
Development and Practical Application of Fuel Cells."
Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series
A, Mathematical and Physical Sciences, 25 September
1973, V.334, #1599 P. 431.
- Baur, Emil, and H. Preis. Zeitschrift für Elektrochemie.
1937. V 43. P 727.
- Baur, Emil, and J. Tobler. Zeitschrift für Elektrochemie.
1933. V 39. P 169.
- Borchers, W. "Direct production of electricity from
coal and combustible gasses." Translation, Electrical
Review (London), 23 November 1894, v.35, #887.
- Dornheim, Michael A. "Helios breakup review." Aviation
Week & Space Technology. 27 September 2004. P. 59.
- Douglas, David L. "Advances in Basic Sciences: 1. Fuel
Cells." Electrical Engineering. September 1959.
- Douglas, David L., and Herman A. Liebhafsky. "Fuel Cells:
History, Operation and Applications." Physics Today.
June 1960. P 26.
- Dyer, Christopher K. "Replacing the Battery in Portable
Electronics." Scientific American. July 1999. P
- Editor. "The Jacques Carbon Generator." The Electrical
Review, 26 June 1896, V 38, N 970, P 826.
- Elmore, G. V. and H. A. Tanner. "Intermediate Temperature
Fuel Cells." Journal of The Electrochemical Society.
- Fairley, Peter, and Alex Scott. "Competing to Fuel the
Fuel Cells." Chemical Week. New York. 5 May 1999.
- Fellows, Lawrence. "British Fuel Cell Runs a Lift Truck"
The New York Times. 25 August 1959. P. 6.
- Grove, William R. "On a Gas Voltaic Battery." Proceedings
of the Royal Society. 1843. PP 268-78, 346-54, 422-432.
- Grove, William R. "On a Gaseous Voltaic Battery." Philosophical
Magazine and Journal of Science. 1842. V 21. P 417-20.
- Grove, William R. "On Voltaic Series and the Combination
of Gases by Platinum." Philosophical Magazine and Journal
of Science. 1839. V 14. P 127.
- Grove, William R. "On a new Voltaic Combination." Philosophical
Magazine and Journal of Science. December 1838. V
13. P 430.
- Hunt, L. B. "The first fuel cell." Platinum Metals
Review. 1978. 22:43.
- Jacoby, Mitch. "New Fuel Cells Run Directly on Methane."
Chemical & Engineering News; Washington; Aug 16,
- Ketelaar, J. A. A. "History." Leo J. M. J. Blomen and
Michael N. Mugerwa, ed. Fuel Cell Systems. New
York: Plenum Press, 1993. P. 24.
- Kordesch, Karl V. "25 Years of Fuel Cell Development
(1951-1976)." Journal of the Electrochemical Society.
March 1978. P. 77c.
- Kragh, Helge. "Confusion and Controversy: Nineteenth-Century
Theories of the Voltaic Pile." F. Bevilacqua and L. Fregonese,
eds. Nuova Voltiana: Studies on Volta and his Times,
2000, V. 1, P. 133.
- Liebhafsky, Herman A. "Fuel Cells." International
Science and Technology. January 1962. P 54.
- Liebhafsky, Herman A., and E. J. Cairns. "Hydrocarbon
Fuel Cells: A Survey." Presentation to the American Institute
of Electrical Engineers 1962 Pacific Energy Conversion
Conference. 12-16 August 1962. San Francisco (GE reprint
- Lloyd, Alan C. "The Power Plant in Your Basement." Scientific
American. July 1999. P 80.
- Maio, Pat. "Driving Force." Wall Street Journal
(Eastern Edition). 13 September 1999. V 234. Issue 51.
- Mond, Ludwig, and Carl Langer. Proceedings of the
Royal Society 1889. V 46. P 296.
- Nixon, Will. "Back to the future." Amicus Journal.
Fall 1999. V 21. Issue 2. P 17.
- Ostwald, Wilhelm. Zeitschrift für Elektrochemie.
1894. V 1. P 122.
- Reed, C. J. "Gas Batteries." Electrical World,
v.25, 6 April 1895, P. 419, and 20 April 1895, P. 482.
- Rhodin, John G. A. "Can the heat of combustion of coal
be turned directly into electric energy?" The Engineer
(London). 23 July 1926. V. 142. P. 80.
- Service, Robert F. "New Tigers in the Fuel Cell Tank."
Science. 16 June 2000. V 288. P 1955.
- Srinivasan, Supramaniam. "Fuel Cells for Extraterrestrial
and Terrestrial Applications." Journal of the Electrochemical
Society. February 1989, p 41c.
- Staff. "Cleaner and Quieter Electrical Generator Seen
in Five Years" Wall Street Journal, 14 September
1959, P 8.
- Warshay, Marvin, and Paul R. Prokopius. The fuel
cell in space: yesterday, today and tomorrow. NASA-TM-102366
E-5084 NAS 1.15:102366.
- Williams, K. R. "Francis Thomas Bacon, 21 December 1904--24
May 1992." Biographical Memoirs of the Fellows of the
Royal Society. 1994. 39:3-18.
- W.T.C. "The Union Carbide Fuel Cell System: A Brief
Description." 13 September 1966. Union Carbide Corporation.
- Yaeger, Ernest. "Fuel Cells." Science. New Series.
20 October 1961. V. 134. #3486. P. 1178
The links below will take you to sites that are not on the
Smithsonian server. Activating any of these links should
open the target site in a new browser window. Just close
that new window to return to the Fuel Cell website.
These links are provided for educational purposes and for
the convenience of those visiting the Smithsonian Fuel Cell
website. Listing of a link does not constitute an endorsement
by the Smithsonian Institution of a site, its content, or
any product or service.