Interns learn basic knowledge of fundraising methods while supporting the development efforts of the Museum through written communications, operational services, and administrative assistance. Tasks may include prospect research; managing mailings; drafting fundraising materials, proposals, blog posts and other written material; assisting with donor tours and special events; creating invitation and mailing lists; maintaining paper and electronic files; and assisting with telephone coverage, data processing, meeting preparation.
Interns have the opportunity to acquire vital skills in museum and nonprofit management by assisting with an assortment of tasks in the Museum’s administrative offices.
- Strong writing, computer, organization, and communication skills
The Public Affairs department serves as a central point for disseminating information about the Museum to the media and the public. Interns assist with publicity by creating and distributing press materials, responding to public and media inquiries, conducting research, and tracking press clips.
- Experience in media, public relations, or communications
- Strong writing, editing, and organizational skills
- Knowledge of desktop publishing software, online services, and digital cameras
Interns coordinate and attend receptions, dinners, conferences, donation ceremonies, and other special events at the Museum. Responsibilities include planning menus, décor, entertainment, and invitation lists as well as determining protocol and overseeing the printing and mailing of invitations. Learn more about the Office of Special Events.
- Experience in special event planning
- Strong organizational and computer skills
Assist with the administration of the Intern Program, which includes leading orientations, responding to inquiries from applicants, and improving and managing contact databases. Work behind the scenes to develop, organize, and advertise enrichment activities for interns in the Museum and at other Washington, D.C., sites.
- Interest in education, museums, volunteer program coordination, or public relations
- Strong writing, research, and communications skills
- Knowledge of computer database software