Media Advisory: The Nation We Build Together Floor Opens at the Smithsonian
WHAT: The Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History will host a preview of the newly transformed wing of the museum’s second floor. Under the theme, The Nation We Build Together, all the exhibitions on this floor tell the story of America’s founding and future as a country build on the ideals and ideas of liberty and opportunity.
WHEN: Wednesday, June 14
Remarks begin at 9:45 a.m.
WHERE: National Museum of American History
Mall entrance, Madison Drive between 12th and 14th streets N.W.
WHO: John Gray, director, National Museum of American History
The museum will open The Nation We Build Together floor to the public June 28. During the media preview event the following will be open:
- “American Democracy: A Great Leap of Faith,” which explores the history of citizen participation through national treasures
- “Many Voices, One Nation,” a 500-year journey on how we became US, a nation out of many.
- A changing gallery with the inaugural exhibit, “Religion in Early America”
- A refreshed presentation of “Within These Walls…,” which showcases 200 years of American history in one house
- “Unity Square,” a program space with hands-on activities, theater programs and a spotlight on one of the museum’s national treasures, the Greensboro Lunch Counter
- A 12-ton statue of George Washington, sculpted by Horatio Greenough in a classic Greek revival style, greets visitors at the entrance to the floor and draw in the visitors
# # #