A summary of electronic outreach offerings at the Museum.
Smithsonian Leadership Development Program (2010-11)
Getty Museum Leadership Institute (2006)
MAT, Museum Education from the George Washington University (1995)
BA, cum laude, anthropology and education, The College of William and Mary (1993)
Amy Bartow-Melia is the Associate Director for Programs and Strategic Initiatives. She brings twenty years of museum and non-profit experience in the US and the UK to her role, with a special interest in assessing the impact of museums. As a member of the Museum's senior executive team, Amy leads the museum's programmatic outreach initiatives to advance the museum's mission to "engage diverse national and international audiences" and "lead the nation in understanding the American Experience." Amy oversees national initiatives in civic engagement, music, theater, and food history. She has experience at the CEO/senior management level, as a board member, and as a museum educator. Amy has assumed leadership roles in the American Alliance of Museums and currently serves on the Accreditation Commision. She was also the founding director of two children's art nonprofits: The London International Gallery of Children's Art and Children's International Art Outreach in Virginia.
- American Alliance of Museums (AAM)—Accreditation Commissioner (2015-2019)
- Museum Assessment Program Peer Reviewer (2004-present)
- Vice Chair for Communications, Board of Trustees, AAM Education Committee- EdCom, (2009-2013)
- International Council of Museums—Committee for Education & Cultural Action
- National Council for History Education —Board of Trustees (2005–2008)
- The London International Gallery of Children’s Art—Board of Trustees (1998–2006)
- Smithsonian Institution—Participated on the Council of Museum Education Directors, Heritage Month Steering Committee, Latino Working Group (Assistant Chair 2001)