Surveys changes in the material culture of American mathematics teaching. Tells stories about objects from the blackboard and the textbook to the protractor and the slide rule to the graphing calculator and computer software.
Ph.D. (1979), Yale University M. Phil. (1974), Yale University B.A. (1971), Grinnell College
- History of mathematics
- History of computing
- Women in science
- History of astrophysics
- A history of mathematical recreations in the United States
- A book on the material culture of American mathematics teaching
- Small exhibitions on such topics as the metric system in the United States, mathematical instruments of Spain and Spanish America, the history of the term "computer bug," and mathematics teaching apparatus.
- Collecting mathematical instruments, software, and teaching devices.
- History of Science Society
- American Physical Society
- Mathematical Association of America
- IEEE Annals of the History of Computing, Editorial Board
- Historical Astronomy Division, American Astronomical Society