Ph.D., Cornell University, 1972
B.A., Syracuse University, 1965
- History of Technology
- Relations among science, technology and culture
- History of invention and innovation
- History of science and technology museums
- Symposia on innovative cultures, on the evolving role of museums, on the Einstein Year (2005)
- Preparing book and articles on 20th century "Technocities"
- Nobel Voices exhibition, marking 100 years of the Nobel Prize (opened 2001)
- Science in American Life exhibition (opened 1994)
Honoree, 8th Annual A-MAN (African American Male Achievers Network) Recognition Program, UCLA, February 26, 2000.
Society for the History of Technology
Book of essays resulting from a multidisciplinary conference on the role of invention in mitigating environmental problems.
A cultural study of boundary problems in the development of modern science exhibitions.
Nobel portraits by the German photographer Peter Badge, accompanying the Smithsonian exhibition, Nobel Voices. Includes statements by the laureates and brief essays by various authors.
Catalog for an exhibition on Nobel Laureates at the University of Aachen, Germany. Considers the effects of National Socialism on German scientists
A history of the annual meetings of science Nobelists at Lindau, Germany. Prepared to accompany the Nobel Voices exhibition.
Collection of articles on effect of declining state budgets on national scientific and research institutions, including the work of museums and other cultural institutions.
A study of the creative influences of philosophy on German electrical theory of the 19th century. An exploration of an aspect of the scientific imagination.
A study of contradictory tendencies in modernism toward modern science and technology.
Brief articles in the history of electricity and science.
A perspective on sponsorship issues in the mounting of a major science exhibition.