Ph.D., Harvard University, 1974 M.A., Harvard University, 1971 B.A., City College of New York, 1969
- Modern art
Awards, Honors, and Special Recognition
- Awarded Smithsonian Institution Research Opportunities Fund: 2009, 1995 (2), 1994, 1992 (2), 1991 (2), 1990, 1989 (2), 1988 (2), 1987, 1985
- Getty Foundation Curatorial Fellow, 2003
- Invited participant in the annual Davos Conference of the World Economic Forum, Davos, Switzerland, 1994
- Invited participant in the World Economic Forum meeting, Washington, May 1994
- Museum Committee of the College Art Association, 1992-95
- Awarded U. S. Patent No. 4,848,705 for the design of "Modular Space Vehicle for Deep Space Applications," 1989
- Elected Fellow (senior member), Explorers Club, New York, 1980
- American Council for Learned Societies' State Department Grant, for travel (through the Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton), 1989
- Scholarly Studies Grant, Smithsonian Institution, 1987–96
- Rockefeller Foundation, Development Grant, 1982–83
- Smithsonian Institution Fluid Research Grant, 1983
- Andrew Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow in the Humanities, City University of New York Graduate Center, 1976–77
Friedensreich Hundertwasser, Taschen Verlag (Cologne, Germany, 1991) editions in German, French, English, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Danish (Japanese edition in press); abridged edition 1993; Hungarian, 1994; hardcover reprint 1997; second, compact, edition 2003.
"Foreword," What If?: Collected Writings of Paolo Soleri 1986–2000 (Berkeley: Berkeley Hills) 2002.
"The Art of New York's Jews: A Delicate Lesson" catalog essay in Transformations: Jew and Modernity Arthur Ross Gallery, Philadelphia, University of Pennsyvlania Press, April 2001.
Hundertwasser der Maler German language edition, F. Bruckmann Verlag, Munich, Germany, 1986; reprinted Otus Verlag, St. Gallen, Switzerland, 2001.
"Lester Johnson: The Secret in Plain Sight" Catalog essay, Provinceton Art Museum, Massachusetts, June 2001.
"William Scharf: History Painter", essay in Phillips Collection, Washington D.C., November 2000 for the exhibition William Scharf: Paintings 1984–2000.
"Merrill Mahaffey: Cue From Manet," Palm Springs Desert Museum, March 2000 (catalog essay).
"From Idea to Matter: 9 Sculptors," [and interview co-authored with Edward Albee] Anderson Gallery, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, October 2000.
"Phil Curtis," American Dreamer (New York: Hudson Hills Press), Contributor, 1999.
The Dictionary of Art, MacMillan Ltd., London (contributor).
"Vincent Pepi," Art Gallery, New York State University at Stony Brook, 1996.
The Clouds, DOV Press, Washington, D.C. 1996.
"Jochen Seidel," Villa Streccius, Landau, Germany, July-August 1995.
"The Uses of Obscurity", in Still Working, the New School for Social Research, NY, 1994 and subsequent tour: Corcoran Gallery, Washington, DC; IBM Gallery, N.Y., etc.
"Introduction," Clyde Lynds New Jersey State Art Museum, March 1993 (and subsequent tour).
Color: Suite In Four Parts, DOV Press, Washington, D.C. 1993.
Notes & Recollections: Jochen Seidel Kompt nach Berlin: Die Ruhr, Staatliche Kunsthalle Berlin, March 1992, tour to: Hallescher Kunstverein, Halle; Raum Trinitatis, Koln, Cologne).
Arshile Gorky: The Implications of Symbols University of California Press, 1991
Julian Stanczak: Decades of Light, State University of New York, Buffalo, Poetry & Rare Book Collection, (co author) 1990.
"Knowledge: The Real Treasure," Sea History 51 (Autumn 1989) 6–7.
An article on the subject of treasure hunting vs. archaeology.
Manet's Contemplation at the Gare St. Lazare, University of California Press, 1987; paperback 1991.
Paul Manship, Smithsonian Institution Press, 1989.
Seymour Lipton: Aspects of Sculpture, Smithsonain Institution Press, 1979.
The Genius of American Painting, Morrow & Co., New York, (co-author), 1973.