This Burroughs Corporation electro-mechanical typewriter was produced during the first half of the 20th century in Detroit, Michigan. Burroughs was better known for its line of adding machines, as it began its history as the American Arithmometer Company, before changing its name to the Burroughs Adding Machine Company. In 1953 the company renamed itself the Burroughs Corporation, moving on to produce typewriters, and subsequently computer mainframes. This typewriter has mechanical keys, but an electric carriage return. The typewriter has an extra-wide carriage to accommodate larger sheets of paper, intended for tabular and statistical work.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.