This snare drum was manufactured for the firm of J. Howard Foote in New York, from 1865 to 1880. It has a mahogany-veneer wood shell, two wood hoops, two skin heads, and a gut snare. There are eight sets of nickel-plated hooks laced with rope, through leather ears, used to tighten the hoops. The top hoop features a brass medallion inscribed with the J. Howard Foote logo.
J. Howard Foote (1833-1896) originally trained as a clockmaker and machine worker, began his employment at the firm of Rohé & Leavitt at No. 31 Maiden Lane in New York around 1853 and acquired the company after Rohé and Leavitt retired in 1863. Foote established a branch store in Chicago in 1868, remaining in business until his death in 1896.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.