The Florence flask, a simple and inexpensive vessel, usually of glass, with round bottom and relatively long neck, has long been a standard piece of chemical equipment. According to an account from 1834: “They are to be had of oilmen, who sell the empty flasks, after having disposed of the Florence oil they contained.”
Ref: John Joseph Griffin, Chemical Recreations (Glasgow, 1834), p. 10.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.