This stoneware jar was made in Guadalupe County, Texas, by H. Wilson & Company, as shown by the impressed mark on the shoulder. The company was formed when a group of formerly enslaved potters, including Hi[y]rum (1836-1864), James (1847-1917), and several others bearing the surname Wilson, separated from the Guadalupe Pottery when John Wilson sold his remaining interest in the latter company in 1869. Hirum Wilson and the others learned the pottery craft while owned by John Wilson, who was a minister and a farmer. Upon emancipation, they took Wilson as their surnames. The shape of this stoneware jar and others produced at H. Wilson & Company suggests a strong connection to the Edgefield District of South Carolina where enslaved potters worked between 1820 and 1860. The Edgefield potters brought their skills when they moved to eastern and central Texas.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.