The stickpin is topped with a blue celluloid button that features Richmond’s motto “There’s a Richmond in the Field.” The Richmond Bicycle Company of Richmond, Indiana produced this souvenir pin to advertise their Richmond bicycles around 1896. Richmond began producing their cycles in 1895, but their business failed in just a few years as the bicycle boom ended.
Bicycling boomed in popularity in the United States during the 1890s when the invention of the “safety” bicycle replaced the dangerous high-wheeler. The National Cycle Board of Trade held the largest annual exhibitions in New York and Chicago between 1893 and 1897. At these cycle shows manufacturers attempted to capitalize on the bicycle boom with exhibitions of their products to both the public and bicycle agents from other cities. At shows like these, manufacturers advertised their wares with pins and buttons made of tin and celluloid—cheap materials easily mass manufactured into trinkets and souvenirs. The Chicago Tribune’s account of the 1896 Chicago show speaks to the ubiquity of these kind of souvenirs. “Every visitor seems to have a desire to cherish its memory through some kind of a souvenir . . . anyone who does not look like a walking sign board is a rarity and every exhibiter goes after him and every available buttonhole has some kind of button in it, and stick pins are thrust at him from all sides.”
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.