This 9-keyed bugle was made by Graves and Co. in Winchester, New Hampshire around 1835-1850. It is an E-flat bugle made of copper with brass keys, all missing. The bugle is marked:
Graves & Co.
The accession paperwork indicates that this bugle was used by David Johnson, leader of the Old Minaville Band, in Minaville, New York.
Samuel Graves (1794-1878) began making instruments in West Fairlee, Vermont from 1824 to 1830. He moved to his shop to Winchester, New Hampshire in 1830 and was joined by his partners, Cyrus Graves (Samuel‘s brother), Charles Alexander, and Henry P. Anderson. The company was owned by Samuel Graves and Charles Alexander, and known as “Graves & Alexander” and later as “Graves & Co.” Brass instrument maker Samuel W. Richardson, from Rochester, New York was a partner in the company from 1832 to 1839.
The company made mostly woodwind instruments, and after London instrument maker James Keat went to work for the firm around 1837, Graves & Co. began producing brass instruments. After 1845, the company exclusively made brass instruments. Graves and Company would continue with various owners and name changes in Boston from 1850 to 1869, after which it merged with E. G. Wright & Co., Henry Esbach, and Louis F. Hartman to form the Boston Musical Instrument Manufactory.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.