Stern and Pohly "Roman Plisse Epingle" silk fabric length; 1914. Trimming silk. Warp-faced rib weave with a crepe-like finish, with silk warp, silk and irregular flake cotton filling (weft). Woven on Knowles box loom. Adaptable for vestings, sashes and coat and jacket trimmings. Narrow stripes in several colors between wider blue and red stripes.
Harry Stern and Joseph Pohly began business in the Cooke Mill in Paterson, NJ in 1897. They erected the Highland Mill, also in Paterson, in 1902, manufacturing novelty silks. In 1914, the company moved their sales offices to Fourth Street in the Garment District, in response to the change in the customer base from the retail market to the wholesale market, with the growth of ready-to-wear clothing for women. The company was sold in 1916 to the Durable Silk Corporation.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.