The Emma F. Harriman was built in 1862 by Elisha Dunbar in Searsport, Maine. It measured 120 feet long and 436 tons. It was first commanded by Fred D. Harriman, and was later renamed Leslie D. The ship was owned by Henry McGilvry from 1862-1877; Mansfield & Roberts in 1879; A.W. Moore from 1886-1890, and C. J. Jorgenson in 1890.
This painting by Charles Rollo Peters is a front view of the Emma F. Harriman. There are men in the rigging, and the boat is under full sail. There is some question as to what is original about the painting as it was heavily repainted. Red and green running lights, and the way the dinghy is hung over the side of the ship are all signs of additions not true of the 1886 time period.
Artist Charles Rollo Peters was born in California in 1862. He studied at the School of Design in San Francisco, tutored privately by Jules Tavernier. Peters moved to Europe and studied at the Ecole des Beaux arts and the Academie Julian in Paris. Peters moved back to California in 1890 and lived on a big estate where he entertained many of his artist friends, in 1909 he moved back to San Francisco and in 1928, he died. There is some uncertainty of the authenticity of the signature.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.