The frontpiece (also known as shield or badge) of firefighting helmets has been a distinctive part of the American firefighter’s helmet since it was developed by Henry Gratacap in the early 19th century. These frontpieces displayed a variety of information. The fire company's name and number appeared, often alongside the city or town where it was based. The frontpiece could also include the owner's initials and rank. Most fire helmets had leather frontpieces, but frontpieces could also be made of metal, especially on presentation helmets or those worn in parades.
This leather frontpiece was manufactured by Cairns & Brother of New York, New York around 1895. The black leather frontpiece has white lettering on a red background that reads “ENTERPRISE/HOSE/1.” There is a red banner at the bottom of the frontpiece with missing letters.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.