This 30 ml glass bottle contains a synthetic dye known as Yellow S. The "Wm. Pickhardt & Kuttroff, New York" inscription refers to a dyestuff firm that was established in 1861, and that became the Continental Color and Chemical Co. in 1906.
This sample was probably part of the Loeb Collection of Chemical Types, a collection that was formed under the bequest of Morris Loeb (1863-1912), a Jewish-American chemist and philanthropist, and sent to the Smithsonian in 1920.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.