The War Department Signal Corps transferred this large aneroid barograph to the Smithsonian in 1923. The base is marked “BREVÉTÉS SGDG” and “82094. The metal base of an attached mercury-in-glass thermometer is marked “FAHRENHEIT” and “CENTIGRADE.” It was probably made by the Richard firm in Paris. Felix Richard began making aneroid barometers in 1845. His son, Jules Richard, took over the business in 1876. The firm began trading as Richard Frères in 1882, and became Jules Richard in 1891.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.