The U.S. Weather Bureau transferred this aneroid barograph to the Smithsonian in 1955. A metal tag on top of the wood and glass case reads “RICHARD Frères / Inventeurs et Constructeurs à Paris / J. GLAENZER & CO. / Léon J. GLAENZER 80 Chamber Street NEW-YORK / Sole Agents for the United-States / PATENT N. 334,613.” The base of the instrument is marked “BREVETÉ SGDG / RF / PARIS” and “8772.” Felix Richard began making aneroid barometers in Paris in 1845. His son, Jules Richard, took over the business in 1876. The firm began trading as Richard Frères in 1882, and became Jules Richard in 1891.
Ref: Jules Richard, “Recording Apparatus for Barometers, &c.” U.S. Patent 334,613 (Jan. 19, 1886), assigned to Richard Frères.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.