Chemical catalogs indicate that Meyer’s sulfur apparatus is used for the determination of carbon in iron and steel by the use of barium hydrate and the determination of sulfur by the aid of bromine. In addition to the six bulb version seen here, a ten bulb version was also available.
This object was used at the Chemistry department at the University of Pennsylvania. Chemistry has been taught at the University since at least 1769 when doctor and signer of the Declaration of Independence, Benjamin Rush (1746–1813), became Professor of Chemistry in the Medical School. A Chemistry department independent of the Medical School was established by 1874.
“A Brief History of the Department of Chemistry at Penn.” University of Pennsylvania Department of Chemistry. Accessed March 20, 2015. https://www.chem.upenn.edu/content/penn-chemistry-history.
Chemical Engineering Catalog 7. Chemical Catalog Company, 1922.
Viktor Meyer (1848-1897) was a German chemist best known for inventing an apparatus for determining vapor densities. This example has six bulbs.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.