This clamp is made by Fisher Scientific. It is made of metal with a threaded keeper screw on the side of the clamp that can be raised to allow easy positioning of tubing, then screwed back into the base of the clamp. With a concave lower bearing surface and convex upper which reduces the amount of pressure required for complete closure. The clamp is cast:
This object was used by Albert Moglie (b. December 16, 1890, Rome; d. June 9, 1988, Washington DC), instrument maker and restorer, and proprietor of a violin shop in Washington DC for 65 years from 1922 until 1987. At the age of twelve he was apprenticed to Antonio Sgarbi and subsequently worked under Luigi Enbergher, Giuseppe Rossi and Rodolfo Fredi, all of Rome. Following these apprenticeships, Moglie was a student of Hippolyte Sylvestre in Paris and Leandro Bisiach in Milan.
Albert Moglie came to America at the age of 24 to work for the Rudolph Wurlitzer Company, first in Cincinnati and then New York City in 1916. By 1917 he had established his own shop in New York at 1431 Broadway. He moved to Washington DC in 1922.
Moglie enjoyed a fine reputation in Washington as a violin restorer and is especially remembered as the caretaker of the Gertrude Clark Whittall Stradivari quartet of instruments at the Library of Congress, an association that began in the 1930s and lasted more than 50 years.
The Smithsonian, National Museum of American History, Archives Center houses additional materials on the life and career of Albert F. Moglie:
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.