Acetylene is a simple hydrocarbon that was discovered in 1826 by the Irish chemist, Edmund Davy, and later named by the French chemist, Marcellin Berthellot. In time it would be widely used for heating and lighting purposes.
This inscription on top of this acetylene gas generator reads "SOLAR / U.S.A. MODEL / 102-B” and “C. M. HALL LAMP CO. KENOSHA, WIS.” The C. M. Hall Lamp Co., of Detroit, was incorporated in 1909, for the manufacture of lamps for bicycles, motorcycles and motor cars, and accessories for electric and acetylene equipment. In 1917, it purchased the factory of the Badger Brass Manufacturing Co. in Kenosha.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.