The Planters Peanut Company was established in 1906 and incorporated as the Planters Nut and Chocolate Company in 1908. In 1916, when the firm ran a contest for a suitable logo, the young Antonio Gentile submitted a drawing of an anthropomorphic peanut. After a commercial artist added a monocle and top hat, Mr. Peanut became a widely-known commercial logo. The Celanese Plastics Company donated this celluloid Mr. Peanut to the Smithsonian in 1973.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.