This guitar, serial #140926, was made by Lyon & Healy of Chicago, Illinois around 1900-1905. The company was founded in 1864 by George Washburn Lyon and Patrick Joseph Healy as a music publications shop for the Boston Company of Oliver Ditson. Lyon & Healy quickly expanded as a retail distributor for musical instruments. The company also made musical instruments but is best known as a manufacturer of harps. As depicted in an 1898-99 Lyon & Healy catalog, this three-quarter size ”Washburn” model guitar, item number 123-3/4, is described: “Rosewood, with Inlaid and Celluloid-Bound Edges, Top and Bottom; Handsomely Colored Wood Inlaying around Sound-Hole; Celluloid-Bound Finger-Board; Beautiful Inlaid Stripe down the Back; Best Quality Ebony Finger-Board Celluloid-Bound; with Engraved Pearl Position Marks; Ebony Bridge; Fine Quality Patent Head Nickel-Plated.” This guitar sold for $29.40 in 1898.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.