This square piano was made by James Stewart in Baltimore, Maryland around 1812-1815. James Stewart was born in Scotland, learned organ building in London, and came to Baltimore in 1812. He formed a number of partnerships including his brother, Adam in Baltimore, Thomas Stewart in Philadelphia, John Osborne in Boston, and Jonas Chickering in Boston. James Stewart returned to London in 1826 and worked as a foreman with Clementi and Collard and Collard. This piano is serial number 305 (?) and has a compass of FF-c4, and English Double action, leather hammers, double-strings throughout, first 8 notes are wound, with tuning pins at right, 1 pedal: dampers, wood frame, and a mahogany case.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.