This harpsichord was made by Thomas Barton in London, in 1730. It is a bentside spinet with a compass of GG - g3, and has a disposition of 1 x 8’. The soundboard is made of spruce. This instrument has ivory naturals with arcaded fronts and skunktail accidentals in ebony and ivory. The nameboard is inscribed:
Thomas Barton MDCCXXX Londini Fecit.
The inseparable outer case and trestle stand are made of mahogany. There are three long brass hinges along the spine and three shorter brass hinges on the keyboard cover. The lock plate and cover hinges feature a filigree design.
This harpsichoard was previously owned by Morris Steinert, a musical instrument and sheet music dealer in New Haven, Connecticut. This spinet was displayed at the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition, in Chicago. Steinert presented lectures and played this instrument with about 60 others from his collection at the exposition.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.