This harpsichord was made by Jacob and Abraham Kirkman in London, England in 1776. It is a single manual harpsichord with a compass of FF - f3 (no FF#), and a disposition of 2 x 8’, 1 x 4’. This instrument has a spruce soundboard, and ivory naturals and ebony accidentals. There are three hand stops: one on bass side (octave 4’) and two on treble side of nameboard (first unison 8’, second unison 8’). The nameboard is inscribed: “Jacobus et Abraham Kirckman Londini Fecerunt 1776.” The soundboard contains a 3” diameter rose of gilt metal with musical instruments and the initials “IK.”
The inseparable case is made of mahogany veneered wood with crotch mahogany panels with holly stringing and plain mahogany cross banding. The keyboard well has burl walnut veneer with holly stringing and light walnut cross banding.
This harpsichord was previously in the Morris Steinert Collection of Keyed and Stringed Instruments in New Haven, Connecticut. A Steinert catalog from the 1890’s describes this harpsichord as “formerly owned by Napoleon Bonaparte; was given, after his banishment to St. Helena, to a French sergeant, who bought it with him to this country, where he settled at Scituate, Mass. In 1833 he sold the instrument to Simon Bates, of Scituate Harbor Light, and by inheritance it passed into the hands of his son, James G. Bates, who is still alive, and from him into the possession of his daughter, Mrs. M. Wharff, now living at Gloucester, Mass., of whom M. Steinert purchased it.”
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.