This harpsichord was made by an unknown maker in Italy, in 1654. It is a single manual harpsichord with a compass of CC/EE - f3, and a disposition of 2 x 8’. This harpsichord has a cypress soundboard, and ivory naturals with arcade fronts and ebony accidentals. There is a small sliding panel in the cheekpiece that covers two knobs, which activate slides. The soundboard contains a parchment rose. "1654" is inscribed on the bottom key.
The separable outer case is made of painted wood with raised gilt-gesso borders and painted floral decorations. The interior of the lid is painted with a landscape featuring buildings and figures. There are three legs fastened directly to the bottom of the case. The two front legs are connected by a wood stretcher.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.