John (Johann) Hartman wove this Figured and Fancy, tied-Beiderwand coverlet in Milton Township, Richland County, Ohio in 1845. The centerfield design is composed of “Double Tulip and Carnation” medallions with offset “Starbursts” arranged in a traditional carpet medallion configuration. The three borders contain addorsed Distelfinken (thistle finches) flanked by rose bushes and Hom, the Germanic tree of life motif. There is self-fringe along three sides. The two corner blocks, which on this coverlet are at the top edge without warp fringe read, “MADE*BY/J.HARTMAN/MILTON/TOWNSHIP/RICHLAND/COUNTY/OHIO/1845.” The coverlet measures 88 inches by 72 inches and is constructed of two panels that were woven as one length, cut, and seamed up the middle, suggesting hand loom production.
John Hartman (c.1807-1888) was born in the German States of the Holy Roman Empire. He and his brother, Peter (1797-1876) immigrated to the United States, moved to Ohio, and opened their own weaving businesses. John wove coverlets in Richland, Ashland, and Wayne Counties, Ohio. His extant coverlets date from 1839-1857. His older brother presumably immigrated first, settling in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania before moving west to Ohio. The weavers were Mennonites who fled their German homeland to escape religious persecution and economic pressures. Peter was a Mennonite preacher as well as weaver.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.