This object is a Mayor McCheese stuffed doll dressed in purple pants, pink jacket and a yellow shirt sporting a purple sash that says “Mayor” but the “M” is a golden arches logo. The doll is made of two pieces of fabric, sewn together in a single seam. The “clothing” has been screened directly onto the fabric. He has a cheeseburger head and is wearing a purple and yellow hat with the double arches logo on it. On his back, “Mayor McCheese” is written in yellow lettering. Mayor McCheese joined the McDonaldland crew in 1971 as part of McDonald’s® advertising campaign aimed at children.
The McDonald’s Corporation is one of the most recognizable hamburger restaurants in the United States. As of 2011, the McDonald’s Corporation and franchisees were operating in 119 countries with 1.9 million employees, making it the 4th largest employer in the world.
In 1940, Richard (Dick) and Maurice (Mac) McDonald opened the first McDonald’s Bar-B-Q drive-in restaurant in San Bernardino, California. In 1948, the brothers redesigned their menu, centering on the 15 cent hamburger. In 1954, Ray Kroc, a Multimixer (milkshake machine) salesman, became interested in the McDonalds brothers’ high volume restaurant. He worked out a deal with the brothers to be their franchising agent and opened the first franchise location in Illinois the following year. Under Kroc’s direction, the company grew to become the giant we know today.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.