Nameplate reads: "Manufactured by / Davis & Horn / Boston." This is a balance beam electromagnetic engine with reciprocating armatures. Two curved horseshoe type magnets are wound with stiff wire, the armatures are connected by brass arms above the wooden holding plate. The magnet polarity is changed by a cut-off on the shaft of the balance wheel. Electrical connections are made under the baseboard. A small engine of this type was used to drill steel plates for gas burners. This is a very early instance of a practical application for motors. Reference: American Journal of Science, 1838, vol 35, pages 263-265.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.