The Pennington clip is a specialized forceps associated with John Rawson Pennington (1858-1927), professor of rectal diseases at the Chicago Clinical School, chief surgeon for fistula and other diseases of the rectum at the Good Samaritan Hospital, and consulting surgeon at the Mary Thompson Hospital for Women and Children. The form was known by 1902. This example was made in Germany and sold by Sharp & Smith in the U.S.
Ref: The Kny-Scheerer Co., Illustrations of Surgical Instruments (New York, 1915), p. 2024.
“J. R. Pennington, Chicago Surgeon Taken By Death,” Chicago Tribune (Feb. 4, 1927), p. 18.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.