One of 13 specimens of quinine sulphate manufactured by American and foreign firms donated to the museum in 1923 by pharmaceutical chemist, Dr. Frederick B. Power. The specimens were portions of a series of samples used by an international committee around 1882 to determine standard tests for purity. Frederick Belding Power (1853-1927) was a graduate of the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy (1874) and the University of Strasbourg in Germany (1880). In 1883 he became the first leader of the University of Wisconsin's College of Pharmacy and later directed research in several pharmaceutical firms. Beginning in 1916 until his death, Power led the phytochemical laboratory of the U.S.D.A. Bureau of Chemistry.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.