Leslie Vaughn Rush (1905-1987) was a surgeon in Meridian, Miss. who joined his father’s hospital, Rush Infirmary, in 1927. In 1936 he invented an orthopedic pin for pinning bone fractures. Dr. Rush and his wife formed the Berivon Co. in 1948, deriving the term from their two names (Beryl and Vaughn), and began manufacturing various orthopedic pins. That firm donated this pin to the Smithsonian in 1986.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.