St. Julien

Description (Brief):

Color print of a bay trotting horse (St. Julien) standing in a grassy meadow.

A color print of a side view of a stallion with black tail, mane and lower legs. The horse has finely developed muscles and a shiny coat. He stands in a grassy meadow with trees and foothills in background.

St. Julien was a descendant of Hambletonian by his sire Volunteer and foaled in 1869. His dam was Sayre's Harry Clay. He spent his early life pulling a milk cart in Orange County, New York before he was eventually rescued for $600 by James Gaiway of New York City, who named the gelding St. Julien after seeing the name on a bottle of wine. He was put in races on the Grand Circuit in 1875, at the age of seven, and won his first six tries with a best time of 2:21/2. St. Julien was trained and driven by Orrin A. Hikok, who bought the horse for $20,000 and took him west. The act of traveling west was the best training for the stallion, who would be driven up to 40 miles a day. On October 25, 1879, to a large crowd in Oakland, California that included General Grant, St. Julien beat Rarus’ record with time of 2:12 ¾. Eventually racing a time of 2:11 ¼, he held fastest record in the world until 1880 when he was beaten by the mare Maud S., who achieved a time of 2:08 ¾. St. Julien died retired on a horse farm in 1894 at the age of 25 after going missing for several days.

Edward Bosqui lived from 1832-1917. He was a printer and amateur landscape painter, born in Montreal Quebec. Bosqui moved to California in 1850 and established the Bosqui Engraving and printing company, San Francisco’s largest printing house. He was not only an artist, bookbinder, pulisher, and printer but a patron of the arts as well. He died in San Francisco in 1917. William Harring worked with Bosqui in San Francisco. He was born in Prussia in 1812. He worked for Lovis Prang Co. in Boston before moving to San Francisco. He worked for Bosqui Printing Company from the 1870’s until his death in 1899. Bosqui & Co. was located at 517 Clay St. San Francisco, CA. The business was destroyed in 1906 by an earthquake and fire; but was rebuilt at 136 Lerdesdorff, San Francisco.

Date Made: 1880

Publisher: San Francisco Bulletin Co.Maker: E. Bosqui & Co.Artist: Harring, William

Location: Currently not on view

Place Made: United States: California, San Francisco

See more items in: Home and Community Life: Domestic Life, Art, Peters Prints, Domestic Furnishings, Horses


Exhibition Location:

Credit Line: Harry T. Peters "America on Stone" Lithography Collection

Data Source: National Museum of American History

Id Number: DL.60.3542Catalog Number: 60.3542

Object Name: lithograph

Measurements: image: 21 1/4 in x 29 1/4 in; 53.975 cm x 74.295 cm


Record Id: nmah_745273

Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.

If you would like to know how you can use content on this page, see the Smithsonian's Terms of Use. If you need to request an image for publication or other use, please visit Rights and Reproductions.