The Autoped Company of America, of Long Island City, New York, built this lightweight scooter in 1918. It bears the number D3201 on the left side of the engine.
The 4-cycle engine has an air-cooled integral-head cylinder bolted to a circular crankcase. The engine is geared to the wheel by means of a disk clutch. All control of the vehicle is through the steering column. Turning the column steers the machine in the conventional manner; pushing it forward engages the clutch; and pulling it back operates the internal expanding brake on the front wheel. Turning the left grip operates the throttle, and turning the right grip operates the compression release through a wire controlling the opening and closing of the intake valve.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.