Stipple engraving after painting formerly attributed to Anthony van Dyck, now considered to be by Peter Paul Rubens, once in the Cabinet at Houghton Hall, Norfolk, England. Originally in the Hermitage Palace, the painting was sold about 1930 and is now in the Gulbenkian Foundation in Lisbon. Print removed from George P. Marsh’s copy of The Houghton Gallery, vol. 2. SI Secretary's Library stamp embossed below image (trimmed; only partial stamp remains).
Pencil inscription on verso reads: "Should be Helena Fourment by Rubens," possibly in Jacob Kainen's hand.
Full-length portrait long considered to be of Rubens' second wife Helena Fourment (1614-1673), although the identity of the sitter is now in some dispute.
Our collection database is a work in progress. We may update this record based on further research and review. Learn more about our approach to sharing our collection online.